Friday, March 26, 2004

It is going to be ..IOCARDS. Not FSBUS for control system...

Trust me - this is not the first time i changed my mind about the control system and definately not the last. As i am going through now, the hardest and most important part of building a sim is -research, learning and planning.

Last week i thought it is definately going to be FSBUS. But later on the weekend and during this week, i researched a lot about IOCARDS project , read all the manuals, played with the software and decided to go with it instead of FSBUS.

Both FSBUS and IOCARDS are more similar than they are different. Both are:

a) non-commercial projects, making the technology available for free
b) modular and extendable
c) support various kinds of inputs/outputs
d) doesn't require programming but provide api if anyone wants to code

For my detailed comparison spread sheet, you can contact me at: projsri777@yahoo.com

and the major difference is in the technology they use. While FSBUS uses the more latest and popular 'microcontrollers' based solution, IOCARDS main board is based on slightly complex ICs solution. However, IOCARDS uses USB interface for communication while FSBUS uses serial port. Finally, each one has it's one strengths and weaknesses. So you wouldn't go wrong going with either one.

My reason for choosing IOCARDS is not necessarily technical merits as there is not much to differentiate strongly there. IOCARDS while making the pcb designs available for anyone to make them on their own, also ships the PCB hardware at a very nominal, reasonable price. I failed to locate a PCB manufacturer who would make them for me in US. So with IOCARDS, i don't have that problem. Also, in my opinion, IOCARDS project is better documented (compared to poor to none documentation of FSBUS). I was also impressed with their software suite which consists of 4 different programs allowing easy simulation, control, identification of connected devices. I thought the software is very user friendly and make the life easier for the builder.

On the other hand, IOCARDS is a spanish project, that is not as popular as FSBUS which seem to have a wider user base. I posted a lot of questions in the forum on their website and always got the response back (though from the administrator and not much user interaction). Neverthless, i got my questions answered. It may be a risk going with a relatively less popular project. But the fact is i liked it better than FSBUS and actually noticed couple of FSBUS users switching to IOCARDS at a later date. So i am going to go with IOCARDS.

I received my xbox mod chip in the mail yesterday. I am all set for working on my xbox mod this weekend. I am crossing my fingures as this is going to be my first soldering job and i am starting out with a complex assignment.

-sri

No comments: