Thursday, March 11, 2004

CH Pro Yoke (USB)

Last night i hooked up the yoke and it was great.

btw, buy.com was excellent in shipping my order. I ordered it on monday morning and tuesday by 9.45 AM. it was at my doorsteps (not bad for free shipping!!)

As soon as i hooked it in, XP recognized it instantaneously. However, note this, it is not caliberated correctly. Also you cannot use default XP's general calibration interface to caliberate this yoke properly.

Instead download the latest Calibration Manager software (it is v3.0 for me) from CH Products website. Do not use the software from the included CD (toss out the CD).

Anyway, Caliberation manager installs bunch of drivers and wait patiently meanwhile. Once installed, use this software to caliberate the yoke properly. One of the dilemma for me is how to caliberate the throttle lever (as a result of not having flown a real aircraft)? I wondered, when is the max power setting - when throttle lever is pushed away from you or is it when the lever is pulled towards you? Finally, i figured that it is full when you push the lever away from you. Another small detail i have no answer yet is - there is a small turn wheel on the lower left side of the housing. I wondered what it is, there is no calibration available for it. Probably i can map it for pitch trimming in the MSFS. Currently i did not map it to any. I left the default mappings in MSFS as is which i found are convenient enough.

Until now i was using MS Sidewinder 3D Pro. What a difference. Using Yoke, it felt much more real. It always centered correctly (only after caliberating ofcourse!)

I played enough last night to appreciate the yoke.

Even if you are not planning to build a simulator, but if you play MSFS, i highly recommend you treat yourself with this yoke. Once again, thanks to all those who influenced my decision by posting their comments/reviews.

No comments: