Sunday, October 09, 2005

Tips & Tricks - I

After pushing it out for so long, yesterday i started re-installing the OS on my computer that is temporarily doubling as the FS9 computer as well as my main home system.

During this process, to my frustration, I realized that I forgot many simple things that I originally took trouble to figure out the very first time. So, this time, i decided to document these here as Tips & Tricks for simmers. Once again, this is to help me as much as it might others. So, here is the volume I of my tips and tricks. Let's see how this list evolves over a period of time..

Project Magenta
----------------

1) To make the FS9 Flight Plans available in CDU..

a) Share the directory into which FS9 saves your flight plan files as "FSPLANS" with full read/write access enabled.
Typically this directory is:
C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

b) Share the main Flight simulator program directory as "FS9" with full read/write access

FS9
-----

1) Where is my FS9.cfg file?
C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9. This directory may be hidden. In that case, you need to first select the "show hidden files" option from the folder view options in the explorer.

2) Where is "no CD FS9" hack?
Not sure i can mention it here. But i know where it is :-).
If you don't know what is "no CD Fs9" hack means.. It allows to launch and play FS9 without having to insert the CD #4 into the cdrom!!

3) If you have added FSSound.dll to FS9 either knowingly or otherwise while installing your favourite aircraft/gauges and suddenly started getting the invalid dll message during FS9 startup..

then add the following lines to the bottom of your FS9.cfg file:

[oldmodules]
fssound.dll=1

This dll is perfectly ok to user for FS9. The above lines will suppress the annoying startup warning.

Meljet Aircraft model
--------------------------
In the 777 VC mode, pilot side view is blocked and cannot see outside..
modify the eyepoing value in the aircraft.cfg file to the following:

[Views]
eyepoint = 92.0, -2.65, 2.25

If the above didn't fix the problem, try changing the first value from 92 to 96 in the increments of 1 until it works..

No comments: