Thursday, March 11, 2004

Why am I writing this?

As this page title says - it chronicles my pursit of building a sim. But why blog it?

Ofcourse my motivation is selfish - i don't trust my memory well enogh to feel confident that i can relive the pains and joys that i needed to go through this project at a later date.

Also, my inspiration came from visiting other's websites and watching what they have done. So hopefully, someday i too might be able to inspire someone to jump onto this wonderful hobby.

Another important reason is not just motivate but provide them with a detailed trial map of each step that a novice like me has to take for a project like this. All the websites i visited so far have wonderful pictures and some tips and limited guidence on how to build a sim. But not a single one i could locate that has the detailed account of what one has to go through. How and what decisions have to be made along the way? What their pains and triumphs along the way? what worked? what failed? and why? No one site has this information available which i am badly looking for at this stage.

I have so many questions starting out when i look at the pictures of someone's wonderful sim on the web. How did they build the projection system? But that is only the front view, what about the side views? what did they do - are they using monitors for the sides and a projector only for the front view? - You get the idea.

So i thought, recording a novices journey will help others who are not already somehow hooked into the industry....

P.S. I am not a pro who is trying to build a sim, instead i am starter and a student.. a good one. I am here to learn and hopefully someday teach! So if you read these logs and find me struggling with a problem, a question, please jump in and post a reply if you can. Even if you have no answers, a simple word of encouragement is also welcome.

You may also write to me at projsri777@yahoo.com

No comments: